Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vegan Gluten-Free Apple Pear Crisp...


Apparently, it is possible to eat dessert even if you are a vegan (and you don't have to spend a fortune on a thousand weird ingredients like I imagined I would).

A few of our good friends have decided to go vegan. Why, I have no idea (other than the obvious heath reasons and animal rights reasons that Daniel and I choose to avoid thinking about). But needless to say, I love my friends and love baking & cooking for a crowd. So... vegan gluten free dessert it is.

On Tuesday we had a dinner party with eight of our greatest Seattle friends, and (most) all food there was vegan. Being the nice girl that I am, I asked the host what I could bring... Dessert it was (I was so hoping to be given wine or salad duty).

I have a million apples in my fridge, so I thought it'd be a good start because no one avoids apples that I know of. It was much easier and MUCH more delicious than I was imagining (how can anything without butter taste good?).

Off to the Ballard Market I went to purchase gluten free flour and pears, other than that I had all the ingredients (with major substitutions) & was quite proud of myself because ten minutes later we were out the door walking to our friend's apartment.

Recipe for Vegan Gluten-Free Pecan Apple Pear Crisp (my way below):

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Grease (NOT with butter, friends) any kind oven-proof pan (I use a giant white casserole dish with a lid for proper transporting on our 10 block walk)
Mix together 4 sliced tart apples (good 'ol granny smith worked great) and 4 sliced pears with 1 TB flour (I used Bob's Red Mill GF sorghum flour), 1 TB sugar and 1 TB of cinnamon. Then proceed to dump all contents into pretty oven safe dish.

Next, I ground up a ton of pecans in my Cuisinart (if I would have had more time I would have toasted them, so I highly recommend that) to end up equaling 1 1/2 cup ground nuts (hazelnuts would also be wonderful).

In a bowl mix together:

1/2 cup flour (same GF flour used here)
1/2 cup sucant or raw sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 ts. baking powder
1/2 ts. sea salt
1 TB ground cinnamon
1 ts. ground nutmeg
1 ts. ground cloves
1 ts. pure vanilla
1 TB water (recipe called for non-dairy milk, but I didn't want to buy it)
2 1/2 TB canola oil (recipe called for palm oil)

Mix with fork until it looks moist and crumbly, then pour evenly over top of apple/pear mixture

Bake for about 45 minutes & serve hot with fake ice cream (I serve some coconut ice cream alternative which was actually pretty decent, and Hagan-Daaz Vanilla for the non-vegs).

2 comments:

  1. you are witty and funny, and i miss you. i wish i could eat your vegan desserts. :)

    ReplyDelete