Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sewing & Bartering

I was recently inspired by an article in last months issue of Real Simple (yes, I have a subscription) on modern bartering. Photography for graphic design. Childcare for haircuts. Massages for Interior Design. I love the idea of trading skills and talents, in true Pilgrim fashion. 

Needless to say, I've been attempting to update my portfolio for an interview and offered what little trade skills I have to a graphic designer friend. Out comes the sewing machine and an offer to make curtains, pillows, wedding favors... anything to get help with computer stuff! 

And now that my pretty sewing machine is out (and on the kitchen table of course), I've stitched some notecards, made one of Daniel's long-sleeve plaid shirts a short sleeve, hemmed two pairs of jeans and am about to make a Onesie for a certain baby-to-be. And absolutely loving it... we'll see how long I'm able to keep the machine on the table before Hubby gets annoyed! 

3 comments:

  1. i leave my sewing machine on the table too :O) i use it more when it's staring at me out in the open.....happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. free coffee for a hemmed dress?! :) haha. just kidding. i stole your blog address from ashley. since i never get to see you, i guess i'll keep up with your life this way!

    julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use www.favorpals.com for my bartering. check out the site, it's great.

    ReplyDelete